So I had quite a great weekend. I'll start with saying that I got to meet President Kikwete out in the Serengeti, but I'll explain the details later as I go.
We left Friday morning and headed out in our awesome Safari cars (with a pop-top and all so we could look at the animals as we're driving). It took a bit to get there, but we went in along the Western Corridor of the Serengeti and saw lots of animals right from the beginning. Some of them we saw later, but just so you get an idea of what is out here:
- Nguru (Wildebeests)
- Punda Milia (Zebra)
- Simba (Lions)
- Duma (Cheetah)
- Tembo (Elephants)
- Twiga (Giraffe)
- Mtambuni (Monkeys)
- Fici (Hyena)
- Kiboko (Hippos)
- Mbuni (Ostrich)
- Digidigi (Dik-dik, which is a cute little furry animal about the size of a medium-sized dog)
A few other really pretty birds and some more normal things like cattle and mules were also around. They only animal of the "Big Five" that we missed were the Rhinos, but our ecology teacher said it wasn't their fault since they are almost extinct. Poor things. I bought some really cool stickers at the Visitor's Centers saying "I <3 Rhinos" and "I've visited the Serengeti!" I also have some super cool pictures - especially of the lions and the baby baboons!
The first two nights of our journey we went ruggid and camped out. In our Safari cars we had with us our drivers and also two cooks who came along to prepare our food at the camp sites. They also brought the tents and the tables that we set up. We drove on Safari all day Friday and arrived just at sunset. They guys put up the tents (they weren't quite the kind you buy at Dick's, but real canvas ones) and we set up the table so we could eat dinner. There was a little cooking area for the cooks since this was one of the public camp sites and they made us some amazing food. I think I ate better on safari then I have been at the university!
Apparently, we lucked out because it seems that they recently refurbished the bathroom facilities. They were nice little mud hut things on the side of camp. They were of course "squatters/long drops" but I am already pretty used to those. I didn't shower for the first three days of safari, but no one did, so we probably all smelled collectively a little rank. What was surprising was the temperature. It's the winter/dry season here so it gets super cold at night. I was wearing sweat pants and a hoodie and big wool socks under a really thick sleeping bag to stay warm and even throughout the morning you really needed a sweater, so we didn't sweat too much at least. =)
Saturday was more safari and this was the day we got to meet the president. We're driving along just enjoying the view of the vast grassland and suddenly there is a big caravan heading towards us. We had heard the president was out on the Serengeti for the weekend, but only luck would have it that he happened to get a busted tire just as we were passing! The caravan stops and out pops lots of official looking people and Kikwete himself for a short stretch. We were all standing up looking through the pop-top of the car. Our ecology professor saw someone she knew in the caravan from her ecology work so she was brave and went out to talk with him. Kikwete was intrigued so he went over to talk to her also. She explained how she was studying the elephants in the area and that we were students from America. He looked at us and yells "come on down" so we all hopped out of the safari cars and ran over. We got to shake his hand and introduce ourselves and have a little chat while his car was being fixed. Our teacher got to tell him about the studies she was doing and some of the problems with the local elephants. It was so cool! One of the guys there even took our cameras and we all got pictures with him talking to us as a group. Who knew we'd get to talk to the President of Tanzania while we were on safari!
We camped again Saturday night after we went to a local luxury lodge to watch the sunset and have a drink. Sunday morning we got our early because we were leaving the Serengeti to go to the Ngorongoro crater area. The crater is what is left of a volcano which exploded thousands of years ago. On the way we stopped at the "Olduvai Gorge" where they have been carrying out excavations that are helping to show the path of human evolution and the existence of humans there millions of years ago. The crater is just beautiful and we took a long drive down after taking pictures of the view and buying jewelry from the local Masai people who live there. There are lots of animals that live inside the crater and the ecosystem was really different from that on the outside. We got to see a lion who was totally showing off and posing for the camera and even started rubbing up against one safari car's tires - great pic!
On Sunday we we out to stay the night at a hostel. It seemed like luxury accommodations after our long weekend - there was even hot running water and a fire place to keep us warm. My bathroom was unfortunately being invaded by roaches, but Leslie, my roommate, was not as fearful as I, and put them under a bucket for me. I am still nonetheless surprised by my calmness and my ability to sleep through the night there! I am getting better! The hostel was built on this local coffee plantation which was built in the 1920s by some German settlers. I bought some of the coffee beans which they have apparently been selling to Starbucks as one of their premier coffees. I think I got quite the deal.
Monday was basically just a long drive home, but we did get an exciting cheetah siting mid-day and had a good time nonetheless. Now I'm back in Mwanza and I'll actually be leaving here in just two days. We have a flight out Thursday morning and on Saturday I have my flight out of Dar. I can't believe how quickly it is coming to an end, but I'm also really excited about Egypt! I had a great weekend and am enjoying myself so much. I can't wait to show everyone my great pictures!
Leave me comments/email me! Miss you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment