So right now I'm actually out of Tanzania and have just arrived in Cairo last night. We almost got detained in Tanzania for being illegal residents, but we managed to make it out after a bit of a screaming match. Apparently our stay had expired after one month and we didn't apply for the proper study permit. I think we'll be having a chat with someone in OIP about our near jailing. But it's okay - I loved staying in TZ and I can't believe it's over, but I am also just really happy and excited to have arrived in Egypt. It's so different from TZ and I think seeing the contrasts will make it ever more interesting.
We flew "business class" on Ethiopian Air and although my expectations were not too high, it was great - the big comfy seats up front in the special section, champagne before take-off and great food. We arrived in Cairo at 3am so I haven't really seen much yet. They have really, really good road systems but then beyond that it's a desert. It's incredibly hot unfortunately - something around 100 degrees and we have to leave soon and head out into the city. We're going downtown today to see the big markets and tomorrow will be the pyramids! I'm not sure if I'll be able to write again while here, so if I can't, I'll talk to you all in August!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
omigoodness! You would get detained! that's so frightening. did you have to bribe people to get out?
by the way, I think I'll be seeing you in two and a half weeks! hooray!
have a safe and fun time in Cairo! love you
Post a Comment