Tuesday, July 31, 2007

News from Egypt

So Egypt is rather exciting, but so so different from Tanzania. You can go out at night and there are lights everywhere. It's really developed and really, really big. I guess I just didn't have that idea in my head before arrival. I really wish I spoke a bit of Arabic, but English generally works in most places if you keep it slow and simple. I don't have too much time, so I'll just give a few brief ideas of what I've been up to since arrival.

Saturday afternoon we left our hotel to go to the other hotel where we were to meet our tour. We got there and that afternoon we went to check out the big marketplace in Cairo. It was really cool - lots of old antiquities on sale and jewelry and all kinds of things. It's almost all men in the marketplace, but there are also tons of tourists. Andrew and I heard some great comments like "How can I take your money?" "You are a very lucky man" "I'll give you six camels for her, six whole camels" and "How much for your unmarried sister?"

That night we just went out for dinner and then settled in at the hotel. Sunday morning was the Pyramids and the Sphinx! Quite exciting! Really they are just amazing feats of architecture. We got to go inside of one, but I think I nearly fainted because of the overwhelming heat. After visiting those sites we went to see the Egyptian Museum which holds so many wonderful artifacts, but it is rather overwhelming and also un-air-conditioned. I was sweating bullets in the 100-something degree, 90% humidity. Most of the women here wear at least a head covering, but many also wear the full black hijab and the face cover. I cannot understand how they survive this heat in that clothing! I wish we had more time here so I could perhaps have a chance to really talk to some people and get to know more about the culture rather than just running through.

We're in Aswan now - we traveled by train last night for 14 hours. Tonight we stay in a hotel and then the next night we get on the sail boat to go down the Nile. I just got back from riding a camel out in the desert - fun, but so hot! Hopefully the pictures came out well! This afternoon we are going to head to another museum and then go to see a sound and light show at night in Philae Temple.

The people are nice, but you don't really get to talk to many - it's very much a quick look at the places, see the tour spots and get out, but it's still interesting and fun. Hope summer in the states is going well! I miss everyone and will be happy to see you soon!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Sarah,
How many camels do you think you are worth..haha
Love Mom

Colleen said...

I laughed SO hard when I heard that you're worth six camels. I hope Andrew defended your honour and told the man that you were worth more--maybe ten camels? But only two-humped ones because they can store more water.

I think you're coming back to the States soon, so have a safe trip!