Thursday, June 28, 2007

Dada zangu =) (my sisters)

I really want to talk a bit about my day at home with my sisters here. It was so much fun!

They saw that I have a digital camera so on Tuesday night Kalista decided we would have a photo-shoot of sorts on Wednesday. They got all dressed up -- make-up, hair, fancy clothes, the jewelry I bought them. When I got home from class they were all ready to pose and have fun. Kalista says that she really likes fashion so this was quite exciting for her. I can't wait to show these pictures to everyone when I get home.

After our photo-shoot we went to the nearby market to look for some things for the girls. I was going to buy them both a present and Kalista said she wanted a jean skirt and Lili wants a new pair of shoes. They told me they were excited to be going out with a mzungu. haha We walked all around but my presence is rather prohibiting when shopping because all of the local market sellers will now give us the "mzungu price" instead of the local price, so we didn't find any good deals on their presents. Looks like they will have to do some shopping on their own later. But they did help me buy a cheap kanga! I hid in another store while they did the bargaining and I got it for the same price they would.

After our shopping we went and grabbed lunch at the mall that is nearby. The power was out all over the area so a lot of the stores were closed, but amazingly the one small cafe and the grocery store were two of the ones still up and running. We ate together and the waitress was asking about how I know Swahili and what I was doing here in TZ. A bit later we went to the grocery store to do some browsing and the girls both saw some lotion that they liked so I picked that up for them. And of course some bubble gum. =)

We stopped on the way home to buy some "ndizi" which are like bananas, but maybe not? I think perhaps they are just bananas that are not quite ripe, but they use them here to make a stew-like meal. Kalista was planning to teach me how to cook Tanzanian style. We picked up the ndizi and some other vegetables and at home I helped her chop them all up. I think she took about 60 pictures of me cooking with her because she thought it was hilarious. Unfortunately half of the pictures either capture only my torso and hands which are cutting something or my face, but usually not both together. I got to mix it all together and do the stirring on the little mini-oven like thing they have. It is basically two burners on top of something that looks like a micro-wave and it sits on the counter-top. Nonetheless, it works quite well and I made quite a good dinner if I do say so myself. I didn't got to make ugali, but I'm hoping maybe tonight or tomorrow if I have time before leaving on Saturday.

The rest of this week is just the last minute things we are doing before leaving Dar. Last night we all were together for a great dinner over our professor's house and today I am going downtown with my class. Friday is the good-bye dinner with all of the families together, so that should be quite exciting too. Really though, I can't believe I am leaving Dar already. I'm finally really comfortable here (other than when I see a huge bug or take a slide in the mud in Savei) and it has gone sooo fast.

Time for class now. I'll write again early next week I think after arriving in Mwanza.

Kwa herini!

No comments: