Monday, June 4, 2007

bragging?

Two days in a row - exciting. We had our first class this morning, but I was with the beginners class today so I really didn't learn anything new quite yet. I think tomorrow I will go to the intermediate class with some kids from Princeton and hopefully the teacher guy will give me better instructions than he did the first day on exactly what building it is on campus so I don't need to walk another 2 miles looking for it. The campus really is HUGE and if you don't know where you're going, you're going to be in some trouble.

After that we had our embassy "security briefing." More or less, the guy just wanted to emphasis how much money the US gives to TZ because he pointed out that no one knows how amazing the US is and all the great things we do. Okay, I agree on some levels, but we really didn't need to hear about it there. Then a woman just told us about some safety stuff - "so I guess you know about Malaria?" Well yes, we talked about that before we got here, it would be a little late now, don't you think? Anyway, some of the girls hit on a Marine and they talked about coming for "Thirsty Thursdays" which apparently the marines hold each week at the embassy. We asked what they did and the guy told us they just stand at the door all day doing nothing. Sounds like a pretty easy post to me... But I don't think we'll be going. You have to be 21 to drink because it is technically on US soil. haha

Nights are a bit boring because it is not very safe to be out after dark so we have to head home. Right now, no one in my house speaks English, so it's a tad bit challenging for me. (my host mom is in Nigeria and will not be back until Sunday) I think this weekend the other Georgetown students and I will be trying to get a bit of an escape and heading out of town a ways to the area with the safe beaches. We're going to get a hotel so we can all take a regular shower too. =)

Time to get going now - hoping everything is well at home!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Hujambo! Habare gani?...something something...

Sarah, it sounds amazing! I'm so jealous! Post more please, and soon. Bucket showers sound fabulous. I think Amanda and I would die. I hope the culture shock won't be too bad =(
What's Dar like? Will you post pictures?

I MISS YOU!!! be safe! =)